Kenneth L. Brown, the first Superintendent of the Lewisburg Gas Department, first began taking gas service applications in June of 1950. The contract for construction of Lewisburgs natural gas pipeline was awarded to the L.F. Wilder Construction Company of Birmingham, Alabama, and construction began on Silver Street in the Fall of 1950.
Natural Gas was first turned on in Lewisburg on February 10, 1951, at Mr. Joe McDaniels store on Belfast Avenue. From that day forward, the Lewisburg Gas Department has grown steadily every year, with the exception of 1973, when supplies ran low. Main lines were extended by both independent contractors and Gas Department personnel, and by 1959, the system had outgrown its main supply line from the Cemetery to the VFW and Silver St regulator stations..
As of 1997, the Lewisburg Natural Gas Department has installed 86 miles of Main pipe, 57 miles of Service line, and brings Natural Gas to over 3,500 homes, businesses, and factories.
At first, the Lewisburg Gas Department shared offices with the Electric and Water Departments on the square. In 1951 the three Utilities moved into a new building on the corner of First Avenue North and Water Street. In 1965 the Gas Department began looking for a new location for its offices, and eventually chose a tract of land on Ellington Parkway. In December the City agreed to lease this location to the Gas Department for 99 years for $28,700.00, and the bid for construction of the new building was given to Ewing F. Cartwright & Sons for $416,880.00 . The Ground Breaking ceremony took place on September 6, 1966, and construction was completed by November 1967.
The Tennessee Gas Association
On November 24, 1952 , the Lewisburg Gas Department invited a group of 21 men representing the towns of Gallatin, Tullahoma, Fayetteville, Pulaski, and Lewisburg to meet at the Southland Café on West Commerce Street to discuss forming an association of the different gas departments in Middle Tennessee. The outcome of this and other meetings was the creation of the Tennessee Gas Consumers Association, an organization which in turn eventually led to the formation of the Tennessee Gas Association. TGA members, comprised of municipal gas systems, utility districts, private and public gas companies, pipelines, affiliated members, and housing authorities, represent approximately 10,000 employees serving the Natural Gas industry in Tennessee, with over 1.2 million Gas customers and 30,000 miles of distribution line.
TGA Mission Statement:
To support the growth of the natural gas industry
In Tennessee by enhancing the overall performance,
Safety, competitiveness, and public awareness
Of its members and their products and services.